Telecom subscribers are sending emails and direct messages to the Nigerian Communications Commission and the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission demanding an investigation into what they describe as unexplained data consumption.
Operators insist that there is no mechanism for reducing customers’ data, arguing instead that rising consumption is due to user behaviour, particularly the shift from 3G and 4G to 5G and increased video streaming habits.
The controversy comes as the Nigerian Senate, last Wednesday, urged the Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation, and Digital Economy to engage operators on reviewing data and internet-related service costs.
While data consumption concerns have remained a pressing concern in recent times, the situation became more pronounced since the implementation of a 50 per cent tariff hike on data and call prices in February.
Over the weekend, some of these operators’ customer service teams engaged with frustrated customers on social media, offering data management tips.
However, many subscribers who shared screenshots of emails sent to regulators on social media and obtained by THE POINT remained unconvinced, arguing that the problem lies in the operators’ billing systems rather than their usage habits.
“Data prices are too high these days. Every Nigerian should report the operators to NCC, FCCPC, and send them thousands of emails; otherwise, this price hike won’t stop,” one of the customers said.
“Not only has data become more expensive, but it also seems to deplete faster than before. This is unacceptable,” another user complained.
Nigeria’s internet consumption crossed the one million terabyte mark for the first time in January 2025, highlighting the surging demand for internet services and Nigeria’s increasing dependence on digital connectivity.
The regulator’s spokesman did not respond to messages sent by THE POINT on Tuesday.
Also, promoters and operators of entities engaged in a prohibited scheme are liable to a penalty of not less than N20 million or imprisonment for a term of 10 years or both.
The Director General of the Securities and Exchange Commission, Emomotimi Agama, said it is one of the provisions of the newly signed Investments and Securities Act (ISA) 2025.
Agama said this in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday as President Bola Tinubu recently assented to the Act.
He said the new Act would strengthen the legal framework governing Nigeria’s capital market.
Agama said the commission previously lacked the legal power to prosecute Ponzi scheme operators, which had made it difficult to bring offenders to justice.
He said the Act would help the commission to better protect investors, and introduce reforms that would promote market integrity, transparency, and sustainable growth.
“So, N20 million is not the entire penalty or the entire money that will be charged or sanctioned to any suspecting or any accused capital market or non-capital market operator.
“It is just part of the penalties and or the sanctions that will be meted against such persons.
“Any profits or gains obtained from defrauding Nigerians will be recovered because it is not about the quantum of the fraud, it is about sanctions that will deter people from even getting into it.
“We recognise that a lot of Nigerians have fallen prey to these schemes and the reason why that is the case is because there were no sanctions.
“Protecting the investors in Nigeria is a cardinal responsibility of the SEC and this law has provided the SEC with stronger powers to be able to do that,” he said.
The Director General said the Act had also introduced transformative provisions to further align Nigeria’s market operations with international best practice.
The ISA 2025 had repealed the Investments and Securities Act No. 29 of 2007.