- NNPCL, NAPE, AbdulRazaq, Egbewole welcome Ojulari, Omotowa
An economist, Prof. Evans Osabuohien, has commended President Bola Tinubu for removing the Chairman, Board and Group Chief Executive Officer of Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited.
Osabuohien, who is Head of the Economics Department at Covenant University in Ota, told the News Agency of Nigeria on Wednesday that their removal was a welcome development.
Osabuohien said sacking the NNPC board would help to check sharp practices in the petroleum sector.
“The sacking of the NNPC board was a right step in the right direction,” he added.
The economist however stated that the move should not stop there. “There is the need for a holistic probe of that sector,” he said.
Osabuohien said NNPC had been recording losses since the past two years when it became a private company.
He suggested that the Federal Government should make NNPC a public liabilities company so that there would be a board of directors which would be responsible to the public.
“This will make the sector vibrant and contribute positively to the economy and generate employment opportunities in the country,” he said.
Osabuohien also urged the Federal Government to look into the recent conflict between the NNPC and Dangote Group.
Meanwhile, the Management of NNPCL has welcomed the appointment of its new Group Chief Executive Officer, Bayo Ojulari, and Board of Directors by President Tinubu.
The Chief Corporate Communications Officer, NNPC Ltd., Olufemi Soneye, in a statement on Wednesday appreciated the former GCEO, Mele Kyari, and the former Board Members for their selfless and dedicated service to the company and nation.
He said that Kyari’s leadership and tireless efforts had left an indelible mark on the NNPC Ltd.
“We are sincerely grateful for his outstanding contributions.
“We wish him and all departing Board Members continued success and fulfillment in their future endeavours.
Ojulari, the new GCEO, hails from Kwara State, and until his new appointment, was the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Renaissance Africa Energy Company.
His Renaissance recently led a consortium of indigenous energy firms in the landmark acquisition of the entire equity holding in the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria worth $2.4 billion.
Ojulari graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked for Elf Aquitaine as the first Nigerian process engineer to begin a stellar career in the oil sector.
From Elf, he joined Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Ltd in 1991 as an associate production technologist.
Aside from working in Nigeria, he worked in Europe and the Middle East in different capacities as a petroleum process and production engineer, strategic planner, field developer, and asset manager.
In 2015, he became the managing director of Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company (SNEPCO).
During his career, he was chairman and member of the board of trustees of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE Nigeria Council) and a fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers.
NAPE praises Tinubu’s NNPC board reshuffle
The Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationists has also lauded President Tinubu for the new Nigerian National Petroleum Company board appointment, noting that the appointment is a bold step towards repositioning the oil and gas industry for greater efficiency, transparency, and profitability.
In a statement signed by NAPE president, Johnbosco Uche and made available to journalists on Wednesday, the association said, the appointment of Bayo Ojulari as the new Group CEO, alongside Ahmadu Musa Kida as Non-Executive Chairman, is a testament to the President’s commitment to excellence and his desire to drive growth in the sector.
The statement read, “The Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationists wishes to express its profound appreciation to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for the recent appointment of a new Board and Management Team for the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited.
“NAPE is delighted to observe that the newly appointed board comprises seasoned professionals, including Austin Avuru, a former President of NAPE who has held esteemed top management positions within the oil and gas industry.
“The new board’s mandate to enhance operational efficiency, restore investor confidence, and increase commercial viability aligns with NAPE’s goals and aspirations for the industry.
“We are confident that the new team will bring the necessary expertise and experience to drive the oil and gas sector forward,” it said.
NAPE also lauded Tinubu’s efforts in ensuring that the new board reflects the country’s geopolitical zones, promoting inclusivity and representation.
“Once again, NAPE commends Tinubu for this laudable achievement and pledges its support for the new NNPC Board and Management Team. We look forward to collaborating with them to achieve the desired growth and development in the oil and gas sector,” the
AbdulRazaq, Egbewole express happiness
In the same vein, the Kwara State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, has expressed happiness with the appointment of Ojulari, a distinguished Kwaran, as the new Group Chief Executive Officer of the NNPCL by President Tinubu.
Also, the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ilorin, Prof. Wahab Olasupo Egbewole (SAN), has congratulated an alumnus of the university, Babs Omotowa, on his appointment as a non-executive director at the NNPCL.
In a separate statement issued in Ilorin by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Rafiu Ajakaye, on Wednesday, the governor described the appointment as another big deal for Kwara and its people, coming a few days after the president graciously named Senator Ibrahim Yahya Oloriegbe as the chairman of the National Health Insurance Authority, a critical lever upon which the country’s health sector rests.
The governor congratulates Ojulari on the appointment, expressing his confidence in the capacity of the appointee to deliver on the mandate of the president.
“On behalf of the people and government of Kwara State, I express our profound appreciation to the president for these A-list appointments.
“We are very proud to be an integral part of the president’s team. Our prayers, best wishes and support are with the new appointees and those before them. With stakeholders rallying behind Mr. Ojulari, we are confident that he will take the oil sector to a greater height. We pray that the tenure of Mr. Ojulari and his team records unprecedented success for the country’s oil sector,” the statement said.
Also, the Vice Chancellor of the University of Ilorin, Prof. Egbewole, has congratulated an alumnus of the university, Omotowa, on his appointment as a non-executive director at the NNPCL.
In a statement issued by the university’s Director of Corporate Affairs, Kunle Akogun, the Vice Chancellor described the appointment as well-deserved, considering Omotowa’s impressive credentials and experience in the global oil business.
The Vice Chancellor, who described the new NNPCL non-executive director as a thoroughbred professional and outstanding alumnus of the nation’s most sought-after university, said that Omotowa has all it would take to discharge the responsibilities expected of him to the fullest.
The Professor of Jurisprudence and International Law urged Omotowa to seize the privilege of the appointment to work with others towards ensuring the revamp of the nation’s economy, which is largely oil-dependent.
Egbewole thanked President Tinubu for the confidence reposed in Omotowa, which culminated in his appointment as he assured all that the new non-executive director would give a very good account of himself.
The Vice Chancellor wished Omotowa a very peaceful and successful tenure.
Tension as host communities threaten oil production shutdown
However, Nigeria’s oil production faces a fresh crisis as host communities in Bayelsa State’s coastal region have issued a 14-day ultimatum to NNPC Exploration & Production Limited, threatening to shut down operations at Oil Mining Leases 86 and 88 if their grievances over security contracts are not addressed.
The ultimatum, conveyed in a letter dated March 28, 2025, was signed by key representatives from the affected communities, including Chief Christopher Tuduo (Ezetu 1), Dr Amakiri Ngozi (Fishtown), Mr Tuadei Alex C. (Ezetu 2), Mr Aneri Ebimene (Ekeni), Engr. Ileberi Ebiwei (Koluama 2), Chief Thankgod Bunafigha (Koluama 1), Chief Saighe Martins (Ezetu 2), Ekemeghuesuotei Sese (Foropa), and Hon. Uroh Kiani (Sangana).
The communities said the action is not only contrary to the established agreements but also undermines the trust and cooperation that have sustained peaceful operations in the fields.
The letter read, “We write to formally address the recent resolution by the management of Pennington Production Limited (a subsidiary of NNPC and operators of OMLS 86/88) concerning the termination, demobilisation of Multiplan Nigeria Limited and the award of 3 community service security vessels contracts at OMLS 86 and 88 operational fields.
“KEFFES Host Communities deems this action unacceptable and demands immediate redress to avoid any disruption to the longstanding peace and stability in the KEFFES region.”
The dispute centres on NEPL’s decision to terminate the contract of Multiplan Nigeria Limited, a community-nominated security contractor, and reduce the number of community-owned security vessels from three to two.
It noted that one of the vessels has now been awarded to a contractor unknown to the host communities, a move they view as a violation of long-standing agreements. OMLs 86 and 88 were previously operated by Chevron Nigeria Limited before being divested to NNPCL.
The eight host communities—Sangana and Fish Town in Brass Local Government Area, as well as Koluama 1, Koluama 2, Foropa, Ekeni, Ezetu 1, and Ezetu 2 in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area—have long relied on these security contracts as part of an arrangement introduced by Chevron in 2007 to maintain stability and safeguard oil infrastructure.
In their letter, the communities reminded NEPL that when it took over operations in 2021, it had agreed to inherit all existing liabilities and contracts, including the security vessel arrangements. They argued that the vessels are community-owned assets, and any changes to their management should have been discussed with them beforehand.
The KEFFES Host Communities Development Trust, representing the affected areas, has demanded the immediate reinstatement of the three security vessel contracts, full payment of outstanding invoices from 2024, and an urgent meeting with NEPL’s management within seven days to resolve the issue.
“The three (3) security vessels represent long-standing community service contracts initiated in 2007, which had been maintained through 2020 under Chevron Nigeria Limited. These contracts have continued uninterrupted since the divestment of the fields to NEPL in 2021. Be reminded that during the introductory meeting between CNL, NEPL and the KEFFES host communities, NEPL agreed to accept all liabilities and assets from CNL as they appear in the agreements between CNL and the KEFFES host communities, which includes the security vessels contract.
“Any new or renewed contracts signed with Multiplan Nigeria Limited or any other contractor must remain unexecuted to prevent the breakdown of peace and stability in the operational fields. All three security vessel contracts must be reinstated as community service contracts without delay to preserve regional peaceh and harmony.”
The communities warned that if their demands are not met within 14 days, they will take all necessary steps to shut down oil production at OMLs 86 and 88.
“If no satisfactory resolution is reached within fourteen (14) days of this correspondence, the KEFFES Host Communities will have no choice but to mobilise all available resources at their disposal to ensure a complete shutdown of the OMLS 86 & 88 field operations until the matter is resolved to the satisfaction of the host communities.
“It is imperative that NEPL acknowledges the seriousness of this matter and acts. Promptly address these concerns. Neglect, refusal, or evasion of these demands will not only jeopardize the existing peace but also undermine the trust and goodwill that have sustained operations in the KEFFES region,” the letter concluded.